No products in the cart.
While you love what’s happening inside of your body, you may not always love what is happening to your body. Growing as baby grows can leave you feeling anxious about how to dress your pregnant frame. Clothes should accentuate the gorgeous body you have, and looking and feeling fabulous depends on finding the fashions that suit you best.
Most of us obsess about certain parts of our body, whether it’s our arms, hips, or in my case, knees. Because we don’t like that particular aspect of our body, we think everyone else only sees that “fault” too. It’s really about bringing proportion and balance to your body and seeing yourself as a whole, not just parts.
The best place to start is to identify your pre-pregnancy body type. Below you will find three common body types. Don’t worry if it is not a perfect match, it is just a starting point.
The Petite Body: Maternity Fashions that Fit
Any body shape under 5’4′. Petite clothing addresses the issue of shorter proportions.
- Wear figure-conscious clothing. This does not mean skin tight. The clothing should skim your body, showing your figure, but not tight enough to stress the fabric. Too much fabric will swallow up your body.
- Dresses elongate the body, especially smaller prints and solids.
- When wearing separates, keep colours tonal.
- When wearing colour, use the 1/3 rule. Put the brighter colour on the top 1/3 of your body to bring the eye up and to not chop your body in half.
- Heels, even a 1/2 inch one, are better than flats.
A few style picks for you ….
The Curvy Body: Maternity Fashions that Fit
Rounder bust and hips with a small waist
- Fit is extremely important for a curvy gal. Look for fitted clothes that accentuate curves; oversized or baggy clothing will add the appearance of weight.
- Emphasize your small waist with a belt or pieces that nip in at the waist.
- Keep necklines open without being overly revealing.
- Darker wash denim is recommended to create a slimmer, longer-legged look.
- Don’t avoid colour and prints. Prints are great to camouflage areas that can get fuller with pregnancy.
- Seamless underwear and well-fitting bras will create a smooth silhouette..
A few style picks for you …
The Straight Body: Maternity Fashions that Fit
Bust and hips are approximately the same width and there is little or no waist definition.
Pregnancy will give you some of the curves you did not have before.
- Can wear a wide variety of styles.
- Wear clothes that will create a waist – belts, wrap & side-tie dresses.
- Clothes with flow and some volume are good; think pleats, tucks, and gathers.
- Emphasizing the bust can slim down the waist – scoop, sweetheart and v-shape necklines help achieve this.
- Enjoy wearing colours, patterns & details such ruffles, ruching and gathers
A few style picks for you …
The key principle, no matter your frame, is to bring balance to the figure. You know you’ve fitted the body right when you look in the mirror, happily and confidently, and see the whole body and not just a body part or two. Clothes are supposed to make you feel good; that is what is so fun about fashion! If you aren’t having fun with your maternity fashion, come and see us. You deserve to look your best.
We know you have a lot of choices when it comes to maternity fashion. Our job is to provide you with the designs that compliment your expectant frame, and our matchmaking service – bringing women like you in touch with the fashions that fit – is our specialty. Whether you are shopping online or in-store, shopping with your pre-pregnancy frame in mind will accentuate your best assets, giving you confidence in a time when you aren’t always feeling your best.
And if we might say, in closing, … bodies come in all gorgeous shapes and sizes.